Herdin Record #:
The effects of types of masks in the oxygen saturation among novice nurses working at selected operating room from the Philippines.
Our Lady of Fatima University
This study wants to determine which surgical mask affect the oxygen saturation in the human body.
In recent years, researchers have become increasingly interested in the use of masks whether wearing masks have positive or negative effects to the one who is wearing it. And the reasons of wearing masks have transformed over the years. Masks are a vital piece of equipment in health care facilities and personal emergency kits. A pulse oximeter is a quick way to determine oxygen saturation levels. The instrument use in this study was pulse oximeter which is non-invasive procedure. The objective of this research is to elucidate the significant difference in oxygen saturation reading before, during, and after using disposable mask and cloth mask and what specific mask is suitable for operating room. Quasi experimental study will compare the oxygen saturation of purposefully selected novice nurses working in selected operating rooms in the Philippines. Quantitative results showed that disposable mask has a significant change in oxygen saturation among novice circulating nurse (n=20; x?=.9820; x?=9860; t=-2.251; P=0.030; Reject H0). Disposable mask has a significant change in oxygen saturation higher than the cloth mask which means that disposable mask is more effective and applicable in operating room. This study will benefit the students, future nurses and the medical health practitioner because they can have proper airway ventilation since oxygen is vital in human body using the proper mask in the operating room so that they can perform their optimum level of functioning. Also, the community/client will benefit because they will receive the appropriate performance of the medical team.
|Location||Call Number||Available Format||Availability|
|Our Lady of Fatima University
1. Brizel, D. , Dodge, R. , Clough , R. , Dewhirst, M. . "Oxygenation of head and neck cancer: changes during radiotherapy and impact on treatment outcome" Radiotherapy and Oncology 53, 113-117, 1999
2. Davis, P. J., Spady, D. , Forgie, S. E. D.. "A survey of Alberta physicians’ use of and attitudes toward face masks and face shields in the operating room setting" American Journal of Infection Control 35(7): 455-459, 2007
3. DeMeulenaere, S. . "Pulse Oximetry: Uses and Limitations" The Journal for Nurse Practitioners 3(5): 312-317, 2007
4. Feldmann, H. . "Oxygenation of human tumors—implications for combined therapy" Lung Cancer LASLC 33, 77-83, 2001
5. Hunt, F. . "The importance of kangaroo care on infant oxygen saturation levels and bonding" Journal of Neonatal Nursing 14(2): 47-51, 2008
6. Maridimae, A. , Slessarev, M. , Han, J. , Sasano, H. , Sasano, N. , Azami, T. , Fedorko, L. , et al., . "Modified N95 Mask Delivers High Inspired Oxygen Concentrations While Effectively Filtering Aerosolized Microparticles" Annals of Emergency Medicine 48(4): 391-399, 2006
7. Nichol, K. , McGeer, A. , Bigelow, P. , O, L. , Scott, J. , Holness, D. L. . "Behind the mask: Determinants of nurse’s adherence to facial protective equipment" American Journal of Infection Control , 2012
8. Tokumitsu, Y. , Takahashi, N. , Hoshi, Y. , Tamura, M. , Okada, F. . "Region-dependent asymmetrical or symmetrical variations in the oxygenation and hemodynamics of the brain due to different mental stimuli" Cognitive Brain Research 2, 215-220, 1995
9. Oberg, T. , Brosseau, L. M.. "Surgical mask filter and fit performance" American Journal of Infection Control 36(4): 276-282, 2008
10. Radwin, M. I., Grissom, C. K., Scholand, M. B., Harmston, C. . "Normal oxygenation and ventilation during snow burial by the exhaled dioxide" Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 12, 256-262, 2001
11. Sinex, J. . "Pulse Oximetry: Principles and Limitations" American Journal of Emergency Medicine 17(1): 59-66, 1999
12. Toffolon, M. , Serafini, M. . "Effects of artificial hypolimnetic oxygenation in a shallow lake. Part 2: Numerical modelling" Journal of Environmental Management 114, 530-539, 2013
13. Vanderhaegen, J. , Naulaers, G. , Vanhole, C. , De Smet, D. , Van Huffel, S. , Vanhaesebrouck, S. , Devlieger, H. . "The effect of changes in tPCO2 on the fractional tissue oxygen extraction – as measured by near-infrared spectroscopy – in neonates during the first days of life" European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 13(2): 128-134, 2009
14. Yönt, G. H., Korhan, E. A., Khorshid, L. . "Comparison of oxygen saturation values and measurement times by pulse oximetry in various parts of the body" Applied Nursing Research 24(4): 39-43, 2011