Herdin Record #:
Filipino preschoolers’ perception of gender appropriate toys and their parents’ belief about genderized play.
|College of Nursing - Our Lady of Fatima University
|Research Department and Innovation Center - Our Lady of Fatima University
Our Lady of Fatima University
This study aims to determine the preschooler's perception of genderized toy and their parents's perception towards genderized paly.
Preschoolers who are commonly at the age of three (3), four (4) and five (5), both boys and girls were studied regarding their perception about genderized toys and their parent's approval on it. This study was conducted for preschoolers, to know which toys are appropriate for each boys and girls and to identify their perception of their parent's approval on their choices of genderized toys. On the other hand, parents were surveyed to know the counterpart of their answer versus with their children. The thirty (30) preschoolers were asked to characterized/ enumerate which are girl toys and boy toys which is for their gender. The study resulted that the perceptions between parents and children regarding genderized toys were matched contraindicated to the previous study which was mismatched. Results show that girl preschoolers are more knowledgeable about genderized toys than boys' preschoolers. The present study shows that parents are more concerned about their child's happiness rather than their beliefs of genderized play and appropriate things for the appropriate sex of their child.
|Location||Call Number||Available Format||Availability|
|Our Lady of Fatima University
1. Banerjee , R. , Lintern , V. . "Boys will be Boys: The Effect of Social Evaluation Concerns on " Blackwell Publishers , 397-407, 2000
2. Cherney , I. . "Children’s and Adults’ Recall of Sex-Stereotyped Toy Pictures: Effects of " Infant and Child Development 14, 11-27, 2005
3. Eastman , W. . "Active Living: Physical Activities for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers" Early Childhood Education Journal 24, 161-164, 1997
4. Jadva , V. , Hnes , M. , Golombok , S. . "Infants’ Preferences for Toys, Colors, and Shapes: " Arch Sex Behavior 39, 1261-1273, 2010
5. Lam , V. , Leman, P. . "The Influence of Gender and Ethnicity on Children’s Inferences " Blackwell Publishing , 269-287, 2003
6. Nelson, A. . "Gendered toy play as mediated action" Psycological Science and Education , 71-77, 2011
7. Sandberg , A. , Vuorinen , T. . "Dimension of childhood play and toys" Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education 36, 135-146, 2008
8. Servin , A. , Bohlin , G. , Berlin, L. . "Sex differences in 1-,3-, and 5-year-olds’ toy-choice in structured play-session" Scandinavian Journal of Psychology 40, 43-48, 1999
9. "Understanding play: The implications for play assessment" Australian Occupational Therapy Journal 51, 3-12, 2004
10. Wilansky-Traynor , P. , Lobel, T. . "Differential Effects of an Adult Observer’s Presence " Arch Sex Behavior 37, 548-557, 2008