Herdin Record #:
Using a Komik-based assessment tool to measure hospital-related fear among hospitalized Children: a multi-method research.
Publication Sub Type:
Journal Article, Original
Fatima University Research Journal
Our Lady of Fatima University
Our Lady of Fatima University
The research study was employed to test the reliability of researcher's self-made questionnaire, and determine the level of fear among hospitalized school-age children
This exiguous idea of fear among school-age children is a challenge for healthcare practitioners. Majority of past studies strived to find answer on why do children develop fear towards hospitalization and applicable interventions, and less on the goal of developing a tool to effectively measure fear among pediatric clients. The research study was employed to test the reliability of researcher's self-made questionnaire, and determine the level of fear among hospitalized school-age children. The conceptualized thirty-two item komik-research tool termed as "fearmometer" was initially administered to ten (10) respondents in a rural hospital in the Philippines. The test-retest results were computed using Pearson r formula, and conceded that the researcher's tool was valid in measuring fear among hospitalized school age children. A computed result of 0.75 % which interpreted as "high relationship" was discovered. The pilot study provides the research team a key result if the thirty-two (32) item self-made questionnaire "fearmometer" will be effective and have reliable results once stabilized and administered with a larger number of respondents. The researchers administered the research tool "fearmometer" to thirty (30) purposively selected respondents in another hospital which divulged that among all sources of fear, they considered fear of dying when going to hospital as "most fearful". Findings reconfirmed the results of previous literature and proved that the integration of traditional Komik in tool development is promising in the field of nursing assessment.
|Location||Call Number||Available Format||Availability|
|Our Lady of Fatima University
1. Hockenberry, M. J . Stressors of Hospitalization and Children's Reations. In Wong's Essentials of Pediatric Nursing, C&E publishing, 2005. p. 638-639. (8th ed.,)
2. Salustiano, R. P. . Measurement and Evaluation. 2009.
3. Videbeck, S. L. . Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, . Ankeny, Lowa: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2006. (3rd editio)
4. Betz, , Cecily Lyn ; RN., , , Forsner PhD.; PhD.RN, Maria , Jansson PhD.RNT, Lilia , Soderberg, Anna . School-age Children Narrative about Medical Fear, Volume 4. . Pediatric Nursing Care of Children and Implementation Afraid of Medical Care 2009. 519. (6)
5. Kokab, Bsiri-Moghaddam , MS , Mahdi , Basiri-Moghaddam2, M , Leila , Sadeghmoghaddam2, MS , Ahmadi3, PhD., Fazlollah . The Concept of Hospitalization of Children from the View Point of Parents and Children. October 29, 2011: 2011.
6. The Experience of Suffering Stories Told Hospitalized Children R. S.-C. , 2007.
7. 18th International N, . (2007). The Voices of Children: Stories About Hospitalization. . www.jpedhc.org. Available from: http://www.jpedhc.org/article/S0891-5245%2809%2900051-0/abstract. - [External Link
8. Brownstein, J . (2010). MyHealthNewsDaily Contributors. www.MyHealthNewsDaily. Available from: http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/fear-of-needles-produces-review-of-remedies-0804/. - [External Link
9. (2011). Children's Medical Center Dallas. Healthy Library. Available from: http://www.childrens.com/HealthLibrary/HealthLibContent.cfm?pageid=P03031. - [External Link
10. Cook, J . Available from: http://from www. ehow.com/way_6177849_art-therapy-hospitalized-children.html. - [External Link
11. Keshari , M . (2011). Fear of Seeing a Doctor. CBGEGuess.com. Available from: http://www.cbseguess.com/articles/fear_going_doctors.php. - [External Link
12. Khanh-Van Le-Bucklin, , Rebecca Hicks M.D. , . (2009). Making Blood Draws Easier for Kids. DrGreen.com. Available from: http://www.drgreene.com/qa/making-blood-draws-easier-kids?pagination=2. - [External Link
13. Learning, C . (2005). Wadsworth. www.wadsworth.com. Available from: http://www.wadsworth.com/psychology_d/templates/student_resources/workshops/res_methd/sampling/sampling_29.html. - [External Link
14. Fritscher, Lisa . (2008). Psychoanalytic Theory of Phobias. www.phobias.about.com. Available from: http://phobias.about.com/od/causesanddevelopment/a/psycheoanalysis.htm. - [External Link
15. Sikoroyaa, Lucie , Hrazdiloyab, Petra . (2011). The Effect of Psychological Intervention on Perceived Pain in Children Undergoing Venipuncture.. www.phobias.about.com. Available from: http://biomed.papers.upol.cz/getrevsrc.php?identification=public&mag=bio&raid=163&type=fin&ver=2. - [External Link
16. Philadelphia, T. C, . (2011). Childs Concept of Death. www.chop.edu. Available from: http://www.chop.edu/healthinfo/a-childs-concept-of-death.html. - [External Link
17. Raquel Candido Ylam, . The Experience of Suffering: Stories Told by Hospitalized Children.. 2007.
18. Robinson, D . Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1059150. - [External Link
19. Salmeja, Marja , Salantera , , Sanna, , Aronen, , Eeva , . (2009). www.ncbi.nlm. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1059150. - [External Link
20. (2010). ). Hospital-Related Fears and Coping Strategies in 4-6 years old. Retrieved from Children from University of Helsinki, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine Clinic for Children and Adolescents, Child Psychiatry, Helsinki, Finland Web: . www.doria.fi/bitstream. Available from: http://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/63281/hospital.pdf?sequence=1. - [External Link
21. Salmela, M , Salantera , , Aronen, , Eera, . (2009). www.highbeam.com. Available from: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-210723026.html. - [External Link
22. Zarambo, J . (2007). Helping Kids Overcome Fear of Hospital. www.stayhealthymn.com. Available from: http://stayhealthymn.com/article.php?articlelD=31. - [External Link